1/5/10

Elena's New Toy

So as I sit here multi-tasking (laundry, rabbit-bonding, Iowa-game-watching) I thought, this is a great time to blog! Of course, my friends and family, don't get to used to this regularity of posts; we make no promises.
We actually made more progress this last weekend than I think we've made the entire 3 1/2 months we've lived in the house. We put a lot of stuff away, and our basement is actually starting to look like a room instead of a dumping ground. (Except for the pile of boxes and recyclables that it is to cold to bring ourselves to carry out to the alley!)
In addition to Husker Corner, I replaced the stage-coach fabric on the back of the bar with a sixties inspired blue and green polka dot pattern. In the process I broke one of the glass shelves,
so we have to replace not 1 glass shelf, but 2. The lone shelf has a few glasses on it, but I didn't want to load it up because soon (this weekend?) we are going to replace the light fixtures in the basement. Currently there are dim (to say the least) florescent bulbs. Sunday we went to Lowe's with our Christmas gift cards burning a hole in our collective pocket and purchase 4 new halogen track-light fixtures to replace them.
At the same time as we were buying the lights, we also purchased our wall-paper steamer. To quote a texting tween OMG!
This thing is fantastic! I had scraped away for several days at a section of wallpaper when we first moved in, but it was very slow going, and I was a little concerned about what we'd gotten ourselves into. When I did get pieces to come off, there was a lot of pieces left behind. With the steamer though, in less than an hour I cleared an area larger than what took me several days! It's pretty incredible, and to top it off, it sounds like Darth Vader.
It does take a while to warm up, and as the old adage goes, a watched steamer never boils. Once it gets going though, man, we're in business.
I told Greg, I don't want to make any grand pronouncements, but the wallpaper removal, may not be as bad as I thought. Now we just need a second steamer, so we can have his-and-hers models.
-Elena

No comments:

Post a Comment